1. The maker(s) of a cloth quilt can enter their completed work by submitting it online at www.quiltweek.com
along with the non-refundable entry fee of $20 per quilt for AQS members (using member name and email address associated with AQS membership)
or $35 per quilt for nonmembers, digital photos (see rule 6), and appraisal and/or design permission, if applicable (see rule 7). (Please note this registration software currently does not support iPads or Smart devices.)
2. There is a limit of one quilt entry per category; two quilts cannot be entered in the same category, for example, you may enter one quilt in category 1 and another in category 4, but you cannot enter both quilts into category 4.
3. All quilts must be quilted by hand, machine, or both. Quilting is defined as a running stitch that passes through top, batting, and backing. Tied quilts are not eligible.
4. All quilts must fit the size requirements and definitions of the selected category. Please look carefully at category definitions and sizes. You must select a different category for each quilt. For categories defined by quilting method:
- Home Sewing Machine includes use of any sewing machine that is table-mounted/stationary, allowing the quilter to move the fabric rather than the machine.
- Longarm Quilting Machine includes any machine mounted on a frame, allowing the quilter to move the machine head rather than the fabric.
5. Quilts that have been altered, amended, or modified at any date after being entered in any quilt contest will be required to retain the original completion date. Changing the quilt in any way after it has been shown at any contest will not change the completion date.
6. Three photos must be uploaded with the entry.
- A full-view photo of the quilt showing all four corners of the completed quilt. No part of the quilt can be obscured. (Do not crop or manipulate your photos, however, you may crop the background so long as all edges, corners, and binding of the quilt are visible.)
- A detailed photo showing quilting stitches. Select a 12″ section representing your best work.
- A photo of the entrant(s) from the shoulders up. If you are a group or team of quilters, please use a group photo that includes everyone.
(Please refer to our Photography Suggestions
7. Permissions and Appraisals: Any quilt that cannot be defined as an original piece requires written design permission from the inspiration(s) source. Quilts valued over $1,000 dollars require an appraisal submission. When uploading design permissions and appraisal files make sure they are no larger than 10 MB and multiple pages are scanned as one document. (Original design definition: new creation; not a copy of a previous work; traditional patterns or patterns or designs by others are NOT used)
8. Quilts must be in excellent condition. Incomplete, torn, or soiled quilts do not qualify for entry or display.
9. Quilts can be entered in multiple AQS QuiltWeek Contests for up to twelve months, including quilts that win a cash award within that year. For example, if you enter a quilt in Lancaster 2015, you may enter it in any other AQS contest for one year. However, it would not be eligible to enter Lancaster in 2016.
10. Quilts must be a single unit and may not be framed with wood, metal, etc. Odd-shaped quilts and quilts with multiple panels must be mounted on black fabric containing a sleeve; attach the quilt at the top only, leaving the bottom free for the judges to view the back of the quilt. Quilts made from stamped kits are not eligible. Quilts with electrical components cannot be utilized due to fire safety.
11. All decisions of the jurors and judges are final. AQS reserves the right to reject any entry or to move a quilt into a different category. AQS juries quilts based on technique as well as appropriate subject matter. Notifications are emailed for each entry on or before the notification deadline.
Many answers to the most frequently asked questions and helpful links can be found by visiting the contest page at www.quiltweek.com.
For questions or more contest information, e-mail email@example.com or call 270-898-7903, ext. 174
*For entering a cloth quilt by mail:
Please complete entry form, non-refundable entry fee of $20 per quilt for AQS members or $35 per quilt for nonmembers, and CD of digital images (see rule 6), and appraisal and/or design permission, if applicable (see rule 7). Add a processing fee of $5 to mailed entry(s) to entry fee. See the mailing instructions on the entry form.
*For entering the Ultimate Guild Challenge by mail: (see AQS QuiltWeek Grand Rapids Contest)
Each guild submits:
- An entry form for the guild (include challenge description and rules, and contact information for the person coordinating the entry).
- Eight (8) entry forms for the eight (8) quilts with attached appraisals and/or design permissions, if applicable (see rule 7.)
- A CD with full and detail images of each quilt (see rule 6), and a photo of the guild members. (Remember to name each quilt photo according to the rules on the Photography Suggestions so they match the title of the quilt.)
- A non-refundable entry fee ($20 if guild or contestants are AQS members, $35 if all non-members), plus processing fee of $20 for mailed entry. See the mailing instructions on the entry form.